Yield: about 8 rolls
Halloween is a big holiday in my family. I am the youngest of three girls, and to this day we begin planning elaborate costumes many months ahead, with humor and gusto. I created this version of raw vegan sushi for a fun Halloween appetizer. Try this recipe for your next get together, costumed or not!
3 cups jicama, roughly chopped in 1 inch cubes
3 cups turnip, roughly chopped 1 inch cubes
½ cup raw cashew pieces
1 T. + 1 t. salt
2 T. rice vinegar
1 ½ cup peeled and sliced butternut squash, cooked
1 bunch scallions
black sesame seeds
1 bunch mustard greens, destemmed
1 package nori sheets (seaweed)
- Place the chopped jicama, turnip and cashews in a food processor and pulse until chopped to the size of rice granules. Work in batches as needed.
- Press “rice” mixture in a strainer over a bowl to release excess moisture.
- Combine “rice” with salt and vinegar and stir in strainer to further release moisture.
- Lay nori rolls rough side up. Spoon an even layer of “rice” in the lower third of the sheet. Arrange “rice” in a square shape all the way to ¼ inch from the sides.
- Line up small amounts of each ingredient in a horizontal line (1 scallion, half a mustard green leaf, long pieces of cut squash, a sprinkle of black sesame seeds).
- Roll tightly away from you. Set seam side down and repeat.
Slice with a bread knife (serrated) and serve. Wipe knife clean between cuts for better results.