Here is a dreamy version of a Spanish flan that is deliciously dairy free and refined sugar free. And as always, 100% gluten free! A yummy dessert for any season.
Author: Abby Fammartino
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup coconut sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp. sea salt
- In a small saucepan heat the coconut milk until bubbling - careful to reduce the heat so it doesn't bubble over! Simmer gently for 15 minutes or until total volume decreases by ⅓ original volume. Add in ½ cup coconut sugar and whisk until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt. Allow the mixture to cool while you make your caramel and your water bath.
- Water bath: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and fill a baking dish with water just under half way up the side. Place in the oven.
- Caramel: In a small sauce pan heat remaining ½ cup sugar with 2 Tbsp. water over medium high heat until completely dissolved and bubbling. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Once the mixture is syrupy (this happens fast with coconut sugar) move quickly to pour equally into 6 ramekins or one baking loaf size pan.
- Whisk eggs together until evenly mixed in a medium sized bowl. Pour a steady stream of the coconut mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly so the eggs don’t cook.
- Pour flan mixture into caramel-lined pan or ramekins. Place into hot water bath in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until custard is set (middle might be slightly wiggly still, which is ok).
- Cool for 15 minutes, then chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour (preferably 3 hours or more).
- To serve, run a knife alongside the pan or ramekins and carefully invert onto a plate, allowing the caramel to flow over the custard.