Crispy Quinoa Cakes
These crispy cakes are perfect with so many sauces - lately we've been making them with Abby's Thai Basil Vinaigrette, and serving them with a simple Cucumber Relish to balance the flavors beautifully.
Author: Abby Fammartino
Yields: 16 cakes
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 2 T. water or coconut water
- 1 T. arrowroot
- 1 T. tapioca starch
- 2 T. shallots
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. coconut oil
- ⅓ cup cooked, mashed sweet potato + 1 more T. arrowroot
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Taste for salt content and adjust, if needed.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high heat until the oil ripples and is very hot. Drop mixture by the teaspoon full into the pan, flattening the cakes and allowing to cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes on the first side. Flip and cook until second side is very brown, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and continue until all the cakes are cooked, adding more oil as needed to replenish the skillet.
- Serving suggestion: Serve topped with a dollop of Thai Basil Vinaigrette and a teaspoon of cucumber relish. Also delicious served alongside any dipping sauce, chutney or pesto as an appetizer or a side dish a Mediterranean style fish entrée.