Lemon Lentil Soup
Author: Abby Fammartino
Yields: 4-6 Servings
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1-2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ heaping teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 heaping teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon turmeric
- 2 cups red lentils, washed and drained
- 7 cups water or vegetabl stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 inch lemon zest, cut into thin strips, about 4 pieces
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2-2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat and saute onion, garlic, carrot and celery until soft, 5 minutes. Add ground cloves and cumin, saute for 1 minute more.
- Add lentils, water/stock, bay leaves and lemon zest strips.
- Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer 45 minutes-1 hour, until lentils are tender but not mushy.
- Add lemon juice and sea salt. Stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. Alternatively, pulse cilantro with ¼ teaspoon sea salt to create a "pistou" garsnish for your soup.
Recipe adapted from The Natural Gourmet Institute, 2005, NYC.