Raw Beet Ravioli:
6 beets, scrubbed well or peeled
1 T. olive or avocado oil
1/2 t. sea salt
1. Using a mandoline (carefully!) slice the beets very thinly into wafer-like rounds. Toss the beet slices with the oil and sea salt, and lay flat onto a baking sheet or cutting board. Allow beet slices to absorb the salt and become pliable, about 15-20 minutes.
2. Line beet slices into rows and fill half with a dollop of the oregano pesto cheese mixture. Top with another beet slice, pressing down gently or even sealing the sides, if possible.
3. Top with raw marinara or thinned out pesto (or your choice of sauce), and serve at room temperature for best results.
Oregano Pesto “Cheese” Filling
Yield: 2 cups
2 cups cashews, soaked for 1 hour or more
1 cup filtered water
1 clove garlic
1 t. lemon juice (plus more to taste)
1/2 T. sea salt
1/4 cup fresh oregano
1/3 cup fresh parsley
1/2 T. agave nectar (optional)
1. Blend first set of ingredients well, until very smooth.
2. Chop the herbs, and blend on medium speed to incorporate while allowing for texture. Taste for seasonings and chill until ready to use.
*You may need to stop the blender periodically to scrap down the sides, to ensure even texture.
*If the kitchen is very warm, chill the cashew cheese for a few hours before utilizing.