Red Lentil Dip
Author: Abby Fammartino
Yields: 4 cups
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed well and picked over
- 2T coconut oil
- ¼ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Place lentils in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until lentils are soft.
- Drain in a mesh strainer and set aside.
- Combine spices in a bowl and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons coconut oil to a large skillet on medium high heat. Saute 2 cups onions for 5 minutes until onions soften.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Add spice mixture and saute for another minute. Stir in tomato paste.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Process lentils and onion-spice until smooth. ADjust seasoning with more salt.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve warm or cold with your favorite gluten free crackers!