Think ripe peaches, plums and nectarines. Think grilling. Think summer! This is a summer recipe through and through, and is best enjoyed outside. I add a touch of lavender to the chutney for fun, but it’s not essential.
Salmon with Herbed Stone Fruit Chutney
Author: Abby Fammartino
- For Chutney:
- 2 lb. stone fruit, small dice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon or lime
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup honey or agave
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lavender (or use basil or mint)
- *Use only 1 teaspoon dried lavender if you cannot find it fresh.
- For Salmon
- 1½ -2 lb. wild salmon
- 2 T. olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Combine all prepared chutney ingredients apart from herbs in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Continue cooking at a rolling boil, 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Mix in fresh herbs and/or lavender at the end.
- Prepare the grill for high heat.
- Brush the salmon with olive oil on both sides. Salt and pepper salmon liberally.
- Grill the salmon skin side down for 5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking 4-5 minutes or until cooked. Remove salmon from the grill and top with chutney.