Yam Casserole with Spiced Pecans
Author: Abby Fammartino
- 8 cups yams, chopped into 1 inch pieces and parboiled* for 5 minutes
- 2 small apples, small diced
- ⅔ cup coconut butter
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup maple syrup (or more, to taste)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- SPICED PECANS
- 1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 cups pecans
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 pinch - ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Parboil the sweet potatoes by covering them with water, and bringing the water to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes then strain and proceed with the recipe.
- Combine ingredients for pecans and toast the nuts in the oven on 325 for 10 minutes, or until just golden brown.
- Lightly grease a baking dish with olive oil. Combine all ingredients in a bowl (apart from the pecans) tossing to coat, then place in the baking dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes on 325, covered. Uncover dish, turn up the heat to 425 and add pecans over top. Bake for 5-10 minutes more, until pecans are nicely browned but not black.